16 Kasım 2012 Cuma

Romney as the First Latter Day Saint Presidential Nominee

To contact us Click HERE

I was raised in a religious minority with around the same number of adherents as the Latter Day Saints and we also have some common roots with them. My family was very conservative, Christian, and evangelical. So, even though I'm a progressive, I don't think that all conservatives are bad people. I think the GOP is rotten, but not all conservatives. Anyway, even though I'd never vote for Mitt, I remember how it felt seeing President Barack Obama elected that first time around and being able to show my daughter that someone like us (mixed-race people of color) could become President. For similar reasons, I think I'd have been just as happy if Hillary Clinton had won the nomination and I hope she'll run in 2016.

Anyway, I didn't want Mitt to win, but if he had, the one consolation prize I could think of was that little LDS kids could grow up knowing that their religion wouldn't be an unconquerable impediment if they wanted to become President some day. It really made me kind of sad to see him behave so dishonestly and classist and arrogant during the campaign.

With my parents' strong belief in the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" philosophy, they always taught me that if I was ever blessed enough to make it further than any other person of color in whatever I pursued in life, then I had a responsibility to make sure that I didn't make it hard for the next person like me who came along in the future. Romney could have still been dead wrong with his political beliefs without resorting to slimy campaigning.

I feel like it will be a long time before another LDS person will make it as far as he did, because he was absolutely nasty in his campaigning and, on top of that, he lost. Even though I'm not a Republican, that still makes me a bit sad. I want all kids to be able to pursue their highest aspirations without things like religion, race, gender, or political affiliation making that impossible for them.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder